Join Politics & Prose on a day trip out to Monticello and we participate in the "From Slavery to Freedom Tour."
Sunday, October 1st from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Formally known as the "Hemings Family Tour," this 2.5 hour interactive tour has a specific focus on slavery at Monticello and its legacies. The tour begins on the mountaintop, with a private exploration of the first floor of the house, surrounding grounds, and Mulberry Row through the perspectives of enslaved people who labored on the plantation. Guests on the tour are encouraged to share their own experiences and perspectives along the way. Warning: There is a fair amount of walking on this tour.
Afterwards, we’ll visit the Burial Ground for Enslaved People, and participate in a facilitated dialogue on race and the role of slavery in the United States.
Lunches can be purchased at the cafe. If you have any questions or want more information, please see their website HERE or email email@example.com
This trip will happen rain or shine.
Itinerary: Sunday, October 1st
Light breakfast at P&P: 8:00am
Departure for Monticello: 8:15am
Return to P&P around 6:00pm
Light breakfast with Bagels and Coffee
Bus Ride on a comfortable luxury bus
Tickets to all planned tours
Guides and facilitated discussion
By purchasing ticket(s), you affirm that you and tour attendees accompanying you fully understand and agree to the following:
- I am at least 18 years of age.
- I understand that my safety is my responsibility.
- I understand and agree that the loss, theft, or destruction of my belongings is my sole responsibility.
- I fully understand and accept, without limitation, sole responsibility for all of the risks associated with my participation while on the tour or event, including injury and death whether through my own actions or those of other participants, tour guides, or any other external parties. I assume sole responsibility for this risk and release Politics & Prose from all liability or damages resulting from my participation.
- I understand and agree that the safety and wellbeing of minors under the age of 18 accompanying myself or my party are my sole responsibility.
- I represent that I am in proper physical condition to participate in this tour or event.
- I understand and agree that tour leader reserves the right to disqualify anyone at any time during the tour if he or she feels the person’s continued participation will jeopardize the individual involved or the group. Refunds are not given under such circumstances.
- I waive liability and release Politics & Prose, its affiliates, owners, vendors, operators, agents and employees from any and all actions, suits, claims, controversies, damages, judgments and executions whatsoever, in law or in equity, direct or indirect, known or unknown, foreseeable or unforeseeable, which I may have or acquire, arising from, concerning or related to entry in, travel to or from and/or participation in Politics & Prose tours or events.
- I agree that Politics & Prose is not liable for delay or cancellation resulting from acts of participants, agents, employees, acts of God, public enemy, or the United States; or fire, natural disaster, strikes, or civil disturbance.
- This Participant Waiver and Release of Liability shall be construed in accordance with, and its validity and effect (including any claims for breach of any of the terms thereof) shall be governed by the laws of the District of Columbia, and this Participant Waiver and Release of Liability contains the entire understanding and the agreement of the parties hereto and supersedes all other written and oral exchanges, arrangements or negotiations among them, whether written or oral, concerning the subject matter hereof.
I do hereby, on behalf of myself, my dependents, heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, release and agree to hold harmless Politics & Prose, its affiliates, owners, vendors, operators, agents and employees from any and all liability associated with the above. I agree to release, discharge, defend and indemnify against, any and all liability, whether caused by willful or negligent conduct, Politics & Prose, its affiliates, owners, operators, agents, and employees from any claims, actions and liabilities for injury (including death), illness and property losses, theft or damages to myself and those participating in the tour with me. This release shall extend to and include any person/entity acting through or on my behalf.