Please email Classes@politics-prose.com for any extra information.
March 1-6, 2024
Politics & Prose invites you to join us for Willa Cather's New Mexico - Santa Fe
Willa Cather, one of America’s greatest novelists, found deep inspiration in New Mexico’s art, history, and landscapes. Politics and Prose, in cooperation with Wild Blue Yonder Trips, is offering this unique opportunity to walk in Cather’s footsteps on a magical six day trip to Santa Fe and the surrounding pueblos. The itinerary includes expert led walking tours, scenic drives, and day trips to the real places Cather describes in many of her writings, including Death Comes for the Archbishop.
This is a six-day tour with numerous options to explore Willa Cather and Archbishop Lamy’s time in New Mexico in depth. New Mexico is stunningly beautiful and is called the Land of Enchantment for a reason. All of the places that Cather wrote about in Death Comes for the Archbishop are real places, and she described them from her own experience.
Please note that, depending on weather, unexpected closings and other unforeseen events, we may amend this itinerary.
Please click here for the full schedule.
Here’s What’s Included:
- A seasoned and wonderful guide, Politics and Prose instructor Garrett Peck.
- Two trip Politics and Prose assistants who will help with any questions.
- All nights at the four-star La Fonda on the Plaza
- Full hot breakfast every morning
- Wine and conversation socials several evenings
- Dinner on the first night.
- Admissions to every museum or other site mentioned in the itinerary.
What's Not included:
Airfare, taxes, tips.
- Bus and Driver for all-day trips and transportation from ABQ airport to the hotel. Transportation back to the airport is on your own. There are trains and shuttles between Santa Fe and ABQ airport.
- Restaurant recommendations for lunches and dinners.
Things to keep in mind:
There is a fair amount of walking; usually about a mile and a half per day.
If booking tickets to Albuquerque, please remember that the bus will leave the airport at 1:00 p.m.
Please email us your itinerary so that we know when to expect you at the bus or hotel.
Free-time activities in Santa Fe:
Santa Fe offers big city amenities with a small-town vibe. It has about 400 restaurants, and food is a big part of the culture. Santa Fe is also the third largest art market in the country, and you can spend a considerable amount of time exploring the arts scene.
Places to go:
New Mexico Museum of Art
New Mexico History Museum
Museum of Contemporary Native Arts
Georgia O’Keeffe Museum
Museum Hill (four art museums + the Botanical Garden)
Suggestions for Reading in Preparation for a Rewarding Visit to Santa Fe, New Mexico
View our Recommended Reading List for this trip.
Ready to Pack Your Bags?
The price for the trip is $3700. You’ll have your own room without paying an additional single supplement. To reserve your space, register here: https://www.wildblueyondertrips.com/trip-registration.
Before signing up, be sure to read all the Frequently Asked Questions and Terms and Conditions.
If you have more questions, contact:
Politics and Prose programs team at firstname.lastname@example.org
For booking questions, contact:
Sheila Campbell email@example.com
To secure your space, mail your deposit check, made out to Wild Blue Yonder in the amount of $500, to Sheila Campbell, Wild Blue Yonder, 1001 Spring Street, Suite 623, Silver Spring, MD 20910. If you’d prefer to pay by credit card (there’s a 3% surcharge), email Sheila at firstname.lastname@example.org and she’ll send you a Paypal invoice.
A Few Frequently Asked Questions Click Here
Terms and Conditions:
Please read this information carefully, as payment of a deposit represents your acceptance of the following Terms and Conditions.
Trip prices include hotel accommodations on a single or double occupancy basis, breakfast at the hotel, daily transportation as mentioned in the itinerary, entrance fees to museums if with the group as listed in the itinerary, evening socials to plan the next day’s activities, and the services of the trip leaders as outlined in the trip description.
Not included in the trip price are entrance fees to museums and other attractions not expressly included; taxis or other forms of city transportation; airfare and airline baggage fees; lunches and dinners; hotel, restaurant or airport tips; costs of passports and visas; personal expenses such as beverages, laundry or room service; internet wifi except as established in the trip description; airport transfers or any other services not specified in the trip description.
Please note that we cannot guarantee any special requests for hotel rooms.
Registration and Payment
The payment of your deposit confirms your reservation. Deposits may be paid by check made out to Wild Blue Yonder, Inc., or credit card via PayPal. There is a 3% surcharge for PayPal.
Your deposit is refundable for two weeks from the date it is received by Wild Blue Yonder, except for deposits made less than 60 days before a trip departs; those deposits are completely nonrefundable. Two weeks after the receipt of the deposit by Wild Blue Yonder, deposits are not refundable for any reason and will be forfeited if you cancel your trip reservation. Cancellations must be in writing by either letter to Wild Blue Yonder or email to email@example.com. Cancellations become effective on the date they are received by Wild Blue Yonder.
Please note that, should a covid pandemic recur after trip deposits have been paid, no refunds will be possible (the funds will now be in New Mexico), but we will reschedule the trip as soon as possible with no change in price.
Once your reservation deposit has been paid, you will receive a confirmation email and further information to help you plan your trip.
We reserve the right to cancel any reservations that are not paid in full at any time after the final payment is due. If you make your reservation after the final payment due date, payment in full will be required immediately.
Full final payment is due December 10th, 2023.
Cancellations and Refunds
For any cancellations made before November 27, 2023, you will forfeit your deposit but will be refunded any other payments you have made. If you must cancel your trip, the effective date of cancellation will be upon our receipt of your notification, which must be made in writing either by email or letter. No refunds are possible after November 27, 2023.
We strongly recommend that you purchase trip cancellation insurance when you pay your deposit for this trip.
Changes to Your Reservation
If you would like to stay on for longer than the official days of the trip, we will make reservations for you at the hotel. We will not charge you for any changes to your reservation outside of 90 days before the trip start date. From 30 – 89 days before the trip start date, if you make any changes to your reservation, a $100 per person administrative fee will apply. Changes are subject to availability and cannot be guaranteed. If your reservation changes from double occupancy to single occupancy, you will be charged the single occupancy rate.
"Real ID" if traveling by plane into the state.
Health and Medical Issues
We welcome all travelers, but you must be in good health to participate in our trips. The trips require a reasonable amount of walking, possibly several hours a day, uphill or on uneven streets or streets without curb cuts. You must be able to climb stairs and board trains and buses on your own. We regret that we cannot provide individual assistance if you have mobility issues; in such cases you must be accompanied by a companion who will assist you.
If you are unable to navigate this amount of walking, you will not be able to participate fully in the trip, and we suggest you choose another type of trip. We cannot provide individual alternatives to the planned group activities. If your fitness level does not allow you to keep up with the group and/or travel on public transportation, you will be responsible for planning your own activities and for any additional costs incurred (for instance, but not limited to, personal taxis, train tickets, and entrance fees).
We strongly recommend that you purchase both trip cancellation insurance and traveler’s medical and evacuation insurance for your trip. Should you have to cancel your trip after you have paid in full, we cannot offer refunds other than specified above, because we will have already paid the costs of your trip to our vendors.
Arrival and Departure Dates
It is your responsibility to make sure you arrive on the specified trip start date. We cannot refund part of your trip if you arrive late or leave early, unless you have notified us of your different start or end date 90 days before the trip start date.
The liability of Wild Blue Yonder and Politics & Prose, individually or jointly (referred to hereafter as Trip Planners), is strictly limited. In no event will the Trip Planners be liable for amounts in excess of the amounts payable to the Trip Planners in accordance with the terms hereunder, nor will Trip Planners be liable for any consequential indirect or incidental damages arising from this agreement. Trip Planners purchase accommodations, transportation and other services from independent suppliers not under our control. We serve only as agents for these suppliers in securing trip arrangements, and therefore will not accept responsibility and liability for wrongful, negligent or arbitrary acts or omissions of these independent contractors, their employees, agents or representatives.
Trip Planners are not liable for injury, damage, loss, accident, or delay that may be caused by events not within our control, including but not limited to, without limitation, acts of terrorism, war, strikes, defects of any vehicle, adverse weather conditions, natural disasters or the negligence or default of any third party.
Trip Planners reserve the right to correct errors in advertised prices. We reserve the right to cancel an advertised trip, decline to accept a reservation or remove a person from a trip if it is determined by us to be in the best interests of the health, safety or general well-being of other trip participants. We will make every effort to conduct our trip as planned, but we reserve the right to make itinerary and other changes as necessary. If unforeseen circumstances require us to change a hotel, we will make every effort to select alternative accommodations of the same quality. The forgoing terms and conditions and all aspects of the relationship between Trip Planners and you shall be governed by the laws of the State of Maryland.
By purchasing ticket(s), you affirm that you and tour attendees accompanying you fully understand and agree to the following:
- I am at least 18 years of age.
- I understand that my safety is my responsibility.
- I understand and agree that the loss, theft, or destruction of my belongings is my sole responsibility.
- I fully understand and accept, without limitation, sole responsibility for all of the risks associated with my participation while on the tour or event, including injury and death whether through my own actions or those of other participants, tour guides, or any other external parties. I assume sole responsibility for this risk and release Politics & Prose from all liability or damages resulting from my participation.
- I understand and agree that the safety and wellbeing of minors under the age of 18 accompanying myself or my party are my sole responsibility.
- I represent that I am in proper physical condition to participate in this tour or event.
- I understand and agree that tour leader reserves the right to disqualify anyone at any time during the tour if he or she feels the person’s continued participation will jeopardize the individual involved or the group. Refunds are not given under such circumstances.
- I waive liability and release Politics & Prose, its affiliates, owners, vendors, operators, agents and employees from any and all actions, suits, claims, controversies, damages, judgments and executions whatsoever, in law or in equity, direct or indirect, known or unknown, foreseeable or unforeseeable, which I may have or acquire, arising from, concerning or related to entry in, travel to or from and/or participation in Politics & Prose tours or events.
- I agree that Politics & Prose is not liable for delay or cancellation resulting from acts of participants, agents, employees, acts of God, public enemy, or the United States; or fire, natural disaster, strikes, or civil disturbance.
- This Participant Waiver and Release of Liability shall be construed in accordance with, and its validity and effect (including any claims for breach of any of the terms thereof) shall be governed by the laws of the District of Columbia, and this Participant Waiver and Release of Liability contains the entire understanding and the agreement of the parties hereto and supersedes all other written and oral exchanges, arrangements or negotiations among them, whether written or oral, concerning the subject matter hereof.
I do hereby, on behalf of myself, my dependents, heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, release and agree to hold harmless Politics & Prose, its affiliates, owners, vendors, operators, agents and employees from any and all liability associated with the above. I agree to release, discharge, defend and indemnify against, any and all liability, whether caused by willful or negligent conduct, Politics & Prose, its affiliates, owners, operators, agents, and employees from any claims, actions and liabilities for injury (including death), illness and property losses, theft or damages to myself and those participating in the tour with me. This release shall extend to and include any person/entity acting through or on my behalf.